Thursday, April 21, 2016

Creative work ...

Would you like to know what I have been working on?

If you said "Yes!" you're in luck, because I am in the mood for sharing.

My main writing project in recent times has been creating a new website and Facebook community ... allow me introduce you to GLOW: heart, mind and soul.   Most of the conversation takes place on the Glow Facebook page, but I have quite a few draft articles ready to polish and publish on the blog, so stay tuned.

"Jars of love" which I made for my Mum, Dad and Nanna

Also this month I started my InkyWings Facebook page to share ideas and inspiration for my twin creative passions, art and writing.

My longest-running blog is Chrysalis Island, which received a lot of attention last month when I participated in a blog hop ... AND I have a Facebook page for homeschooling, Freestyle Fun Homeschool.

I don't know if I have too many pages and blogs on the go, but at the moment they each serve a purpose.
It's the year of 'having a go' ... 
this was my first attempt at nature journalling.  

I have been decluttering my home and wardrobe, using the ideas of Project 333 and Marie 'KonMari' Kondo ... if that sounds boring and like hard work, it's actually been the opposite.  Deciding what to wear has never been simpler, and I have found white space ... little pockets of calm white space amidst the chaos of family life.  I haven't yet managed to find a corner just for me, for writing and creating art, but with our small home looking more fresh and organised, I am more likely to find a spot to work in quite contentedly.  And contentment is what it is all about!

Sketching is a skill I have been deliberately practicing this year!

To increase my confidence and hopefully skill in sketching (which is fun and will also influence my painting) I have taken part in some home ed group challenges ... for the picture above the subject was 'sour'.  I am also working through a delightful set of lessons using a book on my iPad, You Can Draw in 30 Days, by Mark Kistler.  Rather than whizzing through it I am taking several days per lesson, and loving it!

Painting wise, it's been a time of incubation ... I have been gathering ideas and getting to know my preferred style.  Today I undercoated a stack of canvases ready for the next round of experimentation.  I am really excited.  I do have a lot to learn about materials though ... in an effort to save my good paints for the details, I used house paint, which is cracking as it dries.  Oh well, it might give a cool effect if it doesn't all flake off.

Writing wise, in addition to the online projects I mentioned above, I sifted through my writing archives which now have a dust-free home in a garage cupboard.  Glamorous, I know!  I chose a few of my favourite half-baked plots to bring inside, and have enjoyed meeting my characters again and asking what they have been up to in my absence.  I also bought Scrivener on a whim when it was on special, and imported a couple of manuscripts into new project files to see how easy it is to work with.  Already I am loving it!  I am not loving my most promising story so much ... 16,000 words but ... let's just say there's a lot of work to be done!

That's a bit of what I have been doing.  I have bought (read and savoured) some brilliant books this year which I will tell you about them next time.  If you'd like to leave a comment, perhaps you could tell me about your current creative work, or join the conversation on one of my Facebook pages!

Until next time,
Vanessa

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're finally getting some time and space for yourself and are busy creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kez! Little by little, keeping it playful and pressure-free ... taking time for art and writing feels so luxurious.

      Delete

What's on your mind?